Sunday, October 25, 2009

Lick or Eat

I took Sammy trick or treating! Oh man, it was so much fun! All week last week was spending time going back and forth from Bone Jour, the doggie daycare for the Nebraska Humane Society. First we went, no one there. Day two, went back got an application. 5 PAGES! We had to fill out five pages worth of information on the Samer Doodle! I understand needing my info: address, phone number blah blah; I understand needing Sammy's basic age, breed and his vet info for his vaccinations, the vet information all that; I understand needing to know he is a good dog. But really...3 pages of how he plays with other dogs?? Can't we have a basic one page?? Oh well, after that we took it back on day 3 to schedule a time for day 4...The Interview. Yep, we had an interview. I was starting to wonder how they got dogs there! Anyway, it all went just peachy. Day four we got Sammy in, answered the same questions from the application while Linda, our interviewer, petted Sammy. Then she pulled out a puppy that was there, Chloe, a five month old golden retriever-yellow lab mix. Immediately I thought, my what big legs you have Chloe! Sammy went right up to Chloe and licked right on the face! Linda of course laughed. Then they ran and ran and ran around in the training room and she said, "Oh, he will fit in just fine! He will love it!" So we took a tour of the building and the parts he would use while he was there, the side for small dogs. Then we arranged for Sammy to spend the rest of the day there. Wow did he just love it! He got to run around, without a leach or rope, with all the other dogs and puppies. He was in doggie heaven! We came back to pick him up 4 hours later. Linda was there and yelled out, Sammy's parents are here, send out Sammy. So Sammy came out of the play room with a lady who was pointing to us, Sammy jumped up trying to get back in then the magical moment where he saw me!!!! He came running over! He bounded to say hi to me and Erik, bounded to say goodbye to the others. As soon as I picked him up, his eyes went half way shut! Wow, he was sleepy from all that excitement! He fell asleep in the car before we left the parking lot!
We then went to Monie and Papa's to give them some pictures, Sammy in tow. Usually Sammy can't get enough running around the house and attention. He made his rounds, with extra to Monie, then I sat down with him and he slept on my lap! No energy for the little guy. Then I started to tell them about Growl-O-Ween. Villiage Pointe has a pet store that was going to sponser this Growl-O-Ween where doggies would come to trick or treat! There was costume contests and all that listed on the advertisement. I could tell, not everyone saw this as the coolest thing ever! Oh, well.
Saturday I got Sammy in his halloween sweater and then we went on our way. We got to villiage pointe and there were tons of dogs, and they were even in their costumes! Sammy was in his second day of doggie heaven! How it worked was some stores were participating, and those stores had someone at the door where when the dog came up, they gave him/her a treat! We had a little bag to drop them in. As we walked around we ended up meeting Sammy's distant cousins! Yep, we met FOUR other corgis! Now three of these corgis were all one family and were all dressed up for Halloween, one was even a witch with a hat! That is when I really saw how Sammy still does look like a puppy! I have been thinking he looks all grown up, but not now. The last corgi we met was an elderly corgi, she was 11 years old. Sammy just walked right up and licked her on the nose, and she lifted her lip and Sammy knew it was time to stop licking. And on we went. Dog trick or treating was well beyond my expectations, and I wish I had known it was gonna be so cool, I would have been there right at 11! Sammy loved seeing the other dogs, and was really good at walking around the mall. As for the trick or treating, nope. Sammy had his own ideas. It's a good thing he is an only dog, I tell ya. He had no concern for the actual treat once it left the persons hand. He was great at running up and saying hi. They would dig in their bag like Santa and pull out a big juicy treat. Sammy would look up with his ears back, smile big, puppy eyes, jump up and take a lick, just a tester lick. Mmmm mmm, that is good. So he would grab it, drop it on the ground, jump right back up for more attention, and he would succeed! Often that elicted more treats, which was far from his objective. He just loves everyone! He is getting much much better, though. He has it down to the 2 pet and move to the next willing adorer! Well, almost. He had a thing about the things! (haha) Yep, someone dressed up their 2 lab-sized dogs as "Thing one" and "Thing two." They were behind us, Sammy did not appreciate that. He wanted to be with them and he made it very difficult to walk with. Unlike the things, Sammy was not all dressed up, he was in his little Halloween sweater. It is a knit turtle neck that is black and orage striped. On the back there is a skull and crossbones! Yep, my pup is bad to his little bones! I believe he was a hit with his sweater, and if we had entered him into the costume contest, he would have won! Wow, did he have a great time though! I really liked it as well! I can't wait to do it again with him. We almost ate at the outdoor seating of Panchero's, and I wonder how well behaved he would have been. Hmmm....next time!
After trick or treating, we went to get Sammy his big dog leash and collar! He is growing fast. He has been on the little green harness and matching leash since he came home (August 7, 2009). It is completely expanded out now. We have not worked with him on a collar, but he needed something bigger, and it was time for him to get something to last longer than his puppy days. He needed his adolecent days, and that called for something cool! I have been looking at every pet store in Omaha. (I am not over exaggerating.) We landed on Petsmart selection. When we got there we met a new friend, Harley the puppy bulldog. She was only 4 months, and right away Sammy was whipped. He did all the work in that playing regime! It was so cute. We stood in the aisle and watched Sammy and Harley play for close to 20 minutes! Then we got down to business. Sammy ended with a leather collar and 6 foot leash. Not just leather, don't worry. It is a brown leather with a little detailing in it (itsy bitsy dogs and stars) with a golden yellow back. It really brings out his fur! He looks so big in his leash and collar! Not only does he look like a big dog now, but you know he is a boy dog! My little baby is all grown up!
We went home next where Sammy spent the rest of his day being l-a-z-y! It was good for him. While I was at work the next day, my mom came in and asked Sammy and I to join her at NFM's dock halloween hoop-la. How could I resist showing off my baby! He had so much fun! He got to run around and pet all sorts of new people and...and....AND KIDS!!! He loved it! He loves
kids, and these kids loved him, too! He went in his sweater, which was a hit, again! Man can I dress my dog or what! I'm so happy for him getting to spend time with kids and getting all the attention he deserves! It's been a fun Halloween for him, so far...it's not over yet! He may not get the trick, or the treat part of Halloween, but he loves the attention! And those treats, they came home with us, so maybe he licked it so he could keep it for later. Maybe he is smarter than I give him credit for. But if he was not an only dog, licking would not save those treats for later! So it's a good thing he is my only pup!


No comments:

Post a Comment